Skip To Content

Health Certificates

An Accredited Vet for the Right Pet Health Certificate in Bloomfield Hills

When you travel across state or international lines with your pet, they require a health certificate issued by an accredited veterinarian. Many destinations have different requirements, so it’s important for you to do your homework before attempting to travel with your pet. At DePorre Veterinary Hospital, we have veterinarians who are USDA APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service)-accredited meaning they can issue a CVI (certificate of veterinary inspection), or pet health certificate, for both domestic and international travel. You can check the requirements for travel at

Interstate Pet Travel

If you’re traveling with your pet within the US, there are a few things to consider. First, it’s important to learn what your destination states’ regulations are for importing pets. For instance, be aware that Hawaii requires a mandatory quarantine of all animals upon arrival. Next, you’ll need to establish how you’ll be transporting the animal (by car, train, or plane). Different airlines will have different regulations, and trains and cars will differ as well. Once you establish all of the requirements your pet needs to travel, schedule an appointment with our accredited veterinarian. We’ll be able to issue you an appropriate pet health certificate for your destination.

International Pet Travel

Similar to interstate pet travel, you’ll need to learn the exact requirements of your destination for importing pets. Depending on your method of travel, you’ll also need to check for the regulations of your airline, trainline, or border patrol if traveling by car. Once you share all these details with your veterinarian, we’ll issue you the CVI, but for many countries, you’ll also need to have it endorsed by APHIS. This requires you to send your CVI to the nearest APHIS Veterinary Service Office and wait for their endorsement before you can travel.

The Importance of Timing

Admittedly, there's a lot of research work on the front end for pet travel. And once you figure it all out, it's important to meet all of your destination's requirements in a timely manner. Often a pet health certificate needs to be issued within a certain number of days before travel. It can be as short as 10 days, so timing your veterinary appointment is crucial. Additionally, some states and countries have a very specific order for receiving required vaccinations, tests, and treatments. Follow the requirements to a tee because even a small misstep could result in your pet being denied entry and then quarantined upon arrival.

Pet travel means a lot of planning on your part, but we’re here to help! Our APHIS-accredited veterinarians are experienced in issuing the appropriate pet health certificate for many states and countries. Contact us today with any questions or concerns!

Back To Top